Blockchain, Smart Contracts, and tokenization are terms everyone is discussing. In practice, most companies have little experience in this field. In the Blockchain Challenge, students work together closely with project partners from the corporate world and design innovative concepts based on blockchain technology.
With the Challenge, the Center for Innovative Finance at the University of Basel overcomes the gap between theory and practice and thus offers a unique opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge in practical cases. The event creates a win-win situation where students and project partners can benefit incredibly.
After a highly successful launch in 2018, the Blockchain Challenge takes place annually during the spring semester at the University of Basel.
The Blockchain Challenge is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience during your studies and work on a larger project with a company.
The student teams design a solution based on a practice-oriented problem description. Accompanied by coaches and experts, they go through the most important steps in creating a concept, including prototypes. This strengthens their teamwork, organizational, and presentation skills and promotes time management and problem-solving competence. Furthermore, the Challenge offers a unique opportunity to network with renowned companies and experts as well as students interested in the topic.
- Development of a blockchain concept for a specific problem
- Creation of a visual mock-up and a technical prototype
- Writing a concept paper
- Presentation of your progress at interim presentations
- Final presentation at the gala event in front of a larger audience
- Practical application of the knowledge acquired in university lectures
- Practical experience with real-world problem descriptions of the project partners
- Valuable contacts in the corporate world
- 6 ECTS
- Students of all disciplines are welcome
- Short application via a form
- Various skills are required, such as: Project management, presentation, design, marketing
- Motivation and interest in the topic
The Blockchain Challenge is a unique opportunity for companies to get in contact with students directly. The main task of the project partners is to present a blockchain problem description, which the students then elaborate on. As a project partner, you benefit directly from the students' knowledge and receive a finished blockchain concept paper for your case at the end of the semester. The Blockchain Challenge also offers the opportunity to present yourself as an attractive employer at the university and to establish contact with interesting personalities in the blockchain area. Your support for the Challenge will be publicly communicated and advertised at the big gala event.
- Provision of a problem description related to blockchain technology, which is then elaborated on by the students
- Case Presentation at the Kick-off Event
- Sponsorship of the event with a one-time payment. This money will be used for the organization of the event.
- Direct benefit from the know-how and knowledge of the students
- A blockchain concept paper for your question
- Contact interested students and an opportunity to present yourself as an attractive employer
- Invitation to the gala event with large networking apero
- Public communication of the sponsorship
The Blockchain Challenge is a prime example of promoting young talent and innovation within a close partnership between university and industry. We are proud to be part of this project and impressed by the quality of what was achieved.Matthias Röser, Partner at BearingPoint, Project Partner 2019
We at EY were honored to act as a projectpartner. Big thanks to Prof. Dr. Fabian Schär.EY, Project Partner 2018
It was a pleasure to develop and validate product innovation on the Blockchain with you guys... This journey has hopefully just begun...SBB, Project Partner 2018
What a great event through the past three months! Congrats to the winning team. Thanks for hosting the Blockchain Challenge at Center for Innovative FinanceMarkant, Project Partner 2018